Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 207 - Going to the bank and vocabulary

Today I went to the back and left feeling like I was run over by a truck and then a train…

I had to open an account and enquire about building credit - the bankers spoke to me and I had to have them repeat everything over and over because I wasn't familiar with the vocabulary, and so I had to understand these things for the first time on all levels of understanding - what does that word mean, how do I connect the meaning of the words to what they said earlier, how does all that new information and new concepts connect with the entire picture of what I need to be done.

 

I was there for about two hours, when, at a certain point, I just had to leave because I couldn't hear any more, I couldn't absorb anymore, I was blocked - they spoke and spoke and then asked if it made sense, and the only reply I had was "I don't know what you are talking about" I was completely out of it.

 

So, I see here two points - the first is, since I've become more aware of the importance of vocabulary - this scenario is what children experience at school, where they are bombarded with new information and terminology and vocabulary, that no body really takes the time to make sure that it is completely and entirely understood and integrated, and then they are bombarded with the relationships of this new information, while, if the base foundation, as the vocabulary is not in place then the next step seems impossible to grasp, and reflecting from my experience today, children must go into so many reactions such as feeling stupid, ashamed, confused, misunderstood, some might joke around to relieve the stress and tension as a coping mechanism, others might become angry / mad and get into trouble, and all this is based on simply not having an effective educational structure, nor effective communication, nor effective assessments of where a child is actually at - it would be cool if teachers knew how to communicate with children in consideration to where they are at, at the moment, because if we overload them with information that they can't take in - are we actually supporting them?

 

This leads to the second point of my reacting towards being in such a situation of not knowing the information, and having to learn it for the first time, being at the stage of concrete learning, where it is an actual effort to understand because the terms and relationships are not clear - I experienced shame, because I judged myself for not knowing these things "I should know this by now", I see now that being 33 and having no banking knowledge whatsoever is a consequence of not taking self responsibility and living in some form of dream land where things just happen and work out without me having to put in any effort in making things happen… I have taken money for granted all my life, and within that I allowed myself to create a resistance towards going to the bank, a resistance I "inherited" directly from my mother - now I'm at a point where I have moved to another country and I can't ask my dad to go to the bank for me, and I must start understanding all the details of my account and make informed decisions, I am now eating the fruits of my upbringing as my parents did everything to protect me from the outside world and unintentionally have help me become a weak and independent person.

 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to react at the bank within an experience of information overload

 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to go into the experience of shame when I saw how little I know within the vocabulary and construct of the banking system

 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to experience overwhelmingness at the bank and thus to shut myself off and not be able to hear anything, instead of remaining here in breath and continue listening and taking notes without allowing myself to go into a mind shut down

 

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to understand that this vocabulary and information is new to me and thus will take some effort to understand fully, and instead I went into self judgment within an idea that I should have already known these things by now

 

I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to see that allowing myself to become overwhelmed is now blocking me from hearing the new information that I am judging myself for not knowing, and thus, not supporting myself to improve the situation but instead maintaining the problem - I forgive myself for not accepting and allowing myself to be directed by the mind as I go into overwhelmingness and thus am not able to be here and walk the practical physical steps of learning the new points / vocabulary of banking

 

I realize that when learning something new takes time and effort, and thus, when and as I am learning / faced with something new and see myself go into overwhelmingness I stop myself and breathe, I remind myself that I am here, and that everything learnt is learnt one step at a time, I realize that only by pushing through the reaction of overwhelmingness will I emerge from the other side of the learning scale with a new understanding and vocabulary

 

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to exist within the self belief that I don't understand banking, and thus to expect from myself to become overwhelmed and so I prepare myself to not understand by accepting myself as the self belief as someone that doesn't understand banks, instead of letting go this idea of myself and allowing myself to approach it in a way that would best serve me and my understanding of the point

 

I realize that believing about myself that "I am not good with banks" is not supporting myself because it actually creates he problem as accepted limitation that I then live out, and so, when and as I see myself participating in the back chat of "I am not good with banks / these things" I stop myself and breathe, I realize that I have a choice whether to continue justifying my ignorance and maintaining it, or I can stop it and make a decision to learn and become aware and expand within this point that I have felt inadequate with, and to prove myself wrong, instead of always sabotaging myself to prove me as the mind, right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis